Brick patios can make a gorgeous addition to your home. Brick is durable and ages beautifully over time, but your patio needs to be installed properly and maintained in order to keep it beautiful. See below for instructions on how to lay your own brick patio.
Here's What You'll Need:
- 1" x 2" pieces of lumber to serve as edging for your patio (you can also use metal, plastic or brick)
- Tape measure
- Brick (the amount depends on how big your patio will be)
- Fine gravel
- Paver sand
- Concrete saw (to cut pieces of brick)
- Rubber mallet
- Landscape fabric
- First, choose the spot you want to have your patio. You'll need to dig out the area and dig down several inches to allow room for the layers of gravel, sand, landscape fabric and then the bricks. Think about 5 - 7 inches. You can do this with either a shovel, or rent a bobcat for larger areas. Be sure the area is sloped to allow for drainage and tamp it down with your tamper.
- Once you have the area cleared and tamped down, outline the area with your wood edging. Tamp it down with a rubber mallet to set it in place.
- Next, lay out the landscape fabric across the entire area to help keep weeds from coming through.
- Take gravel and lay it evenly across the area. Make the gravel layer about 2-3 inches deep. Use a rake to help spread it evenly.
- The next layer is the paver sand. Lay it out on top of the gravel and use the tamper to tamp it level all the way around the patio.
- Finally, you can begin laying the bricks into place. You can set them any direction or design you prefer. Lay the brick in place and then use the rubber mallet to tamp it into the sand below it. This helps set it firmly into the sand and prevent it from moving too much out of place. Use the level to check that the brick is level. Then move to the next brick, keeping at least 1/4 inch of space between the bricks and do the same thing. Repeat this process until all of your bricks are laid out.
- Finally, take some of the paver sand and spread it across your bricks. Use the broom to push the sand in between the bricks. Spray the patio with water and add more sand if needed, working it in between the bricks with the broom.
Keep your patio maintained by spraying for weeds and adding sand between the bricks when needed. Be sure to also sweep the patio often to keep grass clippings and other debris off of the patio.